Languages at Whitemoor
As a school, we are delighted to be able to teach Spanish to all of our children.
The schools Spanish in each Key Stage:
- KS1: taught in weekly sessions lasting 30 minutes
- KS2: taught in weekly 45-minute sessions
In Key Stage 1
Spanish is taught in greater depth and detail about the Spanish language and Spanish cultures. Spanish is taught once a week, using the ‘La Jolie Ronde’ scheme of work contents adapted to our pupils needs and interests in a 45-minute lesson. These lessons comprise singing and games as in Key Stage 1, but also a higher rate of new vocabulary and phrases, as well as the introduction of familiar Spanish words and phrases to read and write.
In Key Stage 2
Spanish is taught weekly in a very active 30-minute lesson using the ‘Speekee’ scheme of work. This lesson usually comprises songs and games which teach the children new vocabulary. The children also consolidate this by saying register in Spanish, counting in Spanish as a Maths warm up and greeting each other in the corridor. In Key Stage 1 the emphasis is mainly on learning some core vocabulary and using simple conversation phrases.
Children are encouraged to:
- Listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding.
- Engage in conversations, ask and answer questions, express opinions and respond to those of others, and seek clarification and help.
- Read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing.
- Broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material.
- Write phrases from memory, and adapt these to create new sentences, expressing their ideas clearly.
- Describe people, places, things and actions in speech and in writing.
Useful websites for you children to use at home